I have survived!

I'm not kidding, the month of May has been an incredible roller coaster!  My apologies for those of you who stalk my blog daily, praying for an update.  (Yeah, we all know there aren't any of those! LOL!)  So here's the run-down, in slow mo and descriptive detail.  Mostly because my photo library is still having issues due to a recent run with some malware.  That's a whole 'nother story.

May opens with many exciting events looming in the first few weeks.  First of all, we are only 2/5 the way through birthday season, so having only seen one paintball party for a bunch of crazy 12-yr old boys, then a Squinkie party for some crazy 10 year old girls.  The first was super-fun and totally easy.  The second required a lot of work and developed some drama (10 girls under 12 together for an hour and a half was plenty for me . . . and the birthday girl!).  I though it was super-clever--all the games were based around Squinkies and modeled after A Minute To Win It trials.  Except for the nail-painting-hot-potato, but that was just girly fun. : )

So the next birthday was Mr. Handsome himself, turning the big FORE-OH.  Yup.  And boy, was he ever excited.

Not.

When asked what he wanted for his birthday, his typical response (every year) is "money in the bank."  Well, usually I comply with this request (then get harassed for it later!), but this birthday is THE BIG ONE.  So, of course, that simply doesn't work.  No less than one birthday lunch and two birthday party/dinners later (with a present, I might add), the wife felt sufficiently that the birthday (and the man we love) had been celebrated. : )  Check, check, double check.

During this week of birthday celebration, my little sister got married!  So off we went on a sister road trip (which definitely needs repeating--it was AWESOME!!!  We vented, laughed, cried, sang, and solved all the world's problems!)  to the reception in St. George.  Unfortunately, it rained during that beautiful outdoor party, and was super-cold.  I holed myself up in the casita and huddled under someone else's jacket.  (Why bring a jacket to St. G?)  So . . . . it was fun anyway, and fabulous.  My mother is truly an artist--she created the most fantastic wonderland out of branches and lights and vines and tables and sparkly dangly-things. : )  Love you Momma!

Heading back north, we raced home for the final dress rehearsal of my play.  They had already had their first time rehearsing with the set while I was down south, and I was dying at not being there.  We had to re-structure a few of the dances after seeing the set on stage, and man, if there was ever a time for cloning, I would have done it in a heartbeat!  However, somehow they survived without me, and pulled off an amazing show!  Seriously, I was SO proud of them!  Characters came together, stage positioning was remembered, lights and music and set and costumes and . . . it was awesome.  I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!  (not that any of them read this, because they're all in jr high . . . but I love them nonetheless.)  I will truly miss some of my 9th graders that are leaving me this year.  You guys totally rock!

So, to continue the timeline:  Mon and Tues in St G, Wed at play, Thu = Hubby's b-day, Fri at reception in Farmington, Sat am at wedding, pm at closing night.  Did I mention there were a couple baseball games that week?  And dance classes?  And piano?  And training?  You see why I haven't blogged lately, right?  Oh, you don't?  My apologies . . . I'll do better next time. ; )

The wedding was beautiful, the day was perfect (which is rare this year!), and at the luncheon my baby sister totally surprised me.  You see, at my wedding some almost-fifteen years ago (wow), my then-four-year-old baby sis was SUPER grumpy.  In every single picture.  ALL of them.  We couldn't get her to smile for all the bribery in the world.  At the time, I was a little disappointed but figured it'd make a good story some day.  (and here it is!)  We found out, after the photo session, of course, that all she wanted was a piece of cake.  Wedding cake.  And the sweet ladies in the kitchen wouldn't let her have any.  Because, of course, the bride and groom have to cut the first slice.  I told her if she would have asked me, the bride would have given her some and traded the first slice for happy pictures.  Oh well, too late for that.  But good story got!

Fast forward fifteen years, we're at her own wedding, and amid assorted jokes of frowning in all her pictures, or eating her cake all by ourselves, we end our week of wedding-ness with her luncheon Saturday afternoon.  The cake is in the middle of a long table of yumminess, looking all perfect and divine.  All of a sudden, the guests notice a piece missing.  Yup, the cake is cut and no one saw it.  And from the top layer, no less!  Glancing around, I saw my little sister handing my four-year-old daughter a plate FULL of cake.  (it was a large slice for a four-year-old!)  After the parents did their thing in the microphone, Tiffy stood up and explained.  As a sort of rectification for spoiled wedding photos of mine, she gave Sophia the first piece of her own cake.  We got some cute pictures of Tiffy and Sophia and the piece of cake, and surprisingly, Sophia is not smiling! (I think the sudden attention threw her off, but funny anyway!) hahahahahahahaha  It was an awesome moment, and a very sweet gesture.  Love you Tiff!

So, wedding over, Hubby's b-day over, two more weeks of May and two more birthday parties. And teacher gifts.  And preschool graduation.  And everything else.

Amid a first-grade opera about mummies, kings, queens, and star fighters (BEST SCHOOL PLAY EVER!), a fourth-grade play about the history of Utah (cutest pioneer girl ever!), and a final band concert, we managed to fit in a swim party for 13 seven-year-old boys (super crazy because the venue we had chosen and reserved and paid for cancelled on me the morning of.  Thank heaven for fabulous friends who have backyard pools and are SUPER AMAZING!!!) and a Cinderella party for seven five-year-old girls.  This last party was my favorite--why haven't I done this all along!?!  Cinderella came to the party and she was INCREDIBLE!!!  (She does many other princesses so if any of you need tips, let me know!) She told stories, sang songs, did a crown craft with the girls, played games, opened presents, and behold!  Party was over!  Never was I more grateful for an easy party.  Yaay!!!

Which brings us to this week.  School's almost out, summer weather will being soon (we hope!!!), and a whole different kind of craziness will take over!

I promise pictures will come soon!

Comments

Janet Johnson said…
Congratulations for making it through the month! You are one amazing lady.

I sure miss you, and I can't wait for those pictures. :)
Oh, Sweet!... said…
whewwww!!! Wow! I hate to admit, we know the same story (or at least a similar one) at our house. Sounds fun none the less!