Oh I am so embarrassed . . .

It's already March, and my last post was on Christmas Eve . . . where did two months go?  Seriously, too fast for sure.  Here's a brief re-cap of our post-Christmas Winter adventures:

January

January began with a bang when my baby sister got engaged--yes, it's true!  So as the wedding planner of the family, I geared up for a very busy next couple months.  My jr high show has auditions at the end of the month, birthday season is right around the corner, and our regular schedule is going to increase with dance performances, indoor then outdoor soccer, and baseball starting!

We got away for a brief respite in the freezing northwoods (north pastures, really) of Idaho with Jamie and Sean.  Bundled up (with every single layer I brought!), we had a blast feeding the cows, making carmel popcorn with Grandma Melba, and riding a true-to-life two-horse-open sleigh.

When we got back, I took my first camera class with my new Nikon, and realized how much I have to learn . . . . a LOT!  Good thing there's plenty of down time at our house . . . hahahaha! : )

February

February always goes too quickly, in my opinion.  I know it's only a three-day difference from any other month, but it sure seems to fly by every year.  The biggest change for me was to adjust my carpooling schedule--a real trick when the same-ole-thang has been ingrained in my mind for four months. ; D

No really, we continued indoor soccer . . . a little story in it's own since Micah originally signed up to play with the U9 league, which was ludicrous at best if there's a U8 league . . . he's already playing with kids two years older than him, no reason to increase it!  I was a little worried after the first game, since their team got killed and Micah seemed deer-in-the-headlights with the changes of playing indoor.  But the worry was unnecessary, because he LOVED it!  After a couple frustrating weeks of team changes, we finally found a team that was as young as possible, with a real live coach (didn't think that would be an issue, huh?), and on we went.  They played every weekend, losing as much as they played, but somehow got the Cinderella position in the final championship!  We lost it, but the score (4-3) was much better than the previous time we played the same team (7-0), and they played on the big field to boot (= winded little players)!  The team is continuing to play together for the next month, which is the last session of indoor, and they asked Micah to join them for outdoor.  I just realized this weekend what that means:  Micah will be on two soccer teams, one baseball team, and one very tired (but hopefully not too crazy) mom.

Sophia got to go on her first field trip (VERY EXCITING!) to the Davis Art Center and make recycled art (painting tiny bubble wrap different colors then pressing their paper on top), while I found a modern sculpture I'd love to have in my house the next time I have an extra $1300 laying around . . . ; )

I took the older kids and Sophia to see WXHS's performance of Les Miserables.  It was wonderful, with an incredible set.  The best part is that my little Livia is now obsessed with Les Miz, and listens to it on her iPod as much as possible.  Reminds me of me when my parents came home from seeing it for the first time, and we devoured the story, the music, and all things Les-Miz until we got to see it ourselves in Denver.  Later, I accompanied my 9th grade choir when we sang a medley of it, (I got a solo for part of "I Dreamed A Dream," so only accompanied the last half) . . . so many memories, such a fantastic show!

Later on Livia and I auditioned for our local theater's production of "Annie."  Livia really wanted to be an orphan, and I didn't really want to be in it, but knew that if the parent tried out as well, the child had a better chance of making it.  Well . . . . we both made callbacks, and I started getting excited about doing a show together.  Daniel and I had done "Christmas Carol" together about five years ago, and it was a blast!  So, long story short, we got the call that she made it.  I was bummed until I realized that it was the perfect solution to a stressful problem--how was I going to be in a show and still be mom to my other three!?!  Until our schedules calm down (a LOT), I think it's better that I be backstage! ; D  So Livia is LOVING her rehearsals, and the cast, and the production, and I know it's going to be a fabulous opportunity for her.  And, like her mom, she doesn't shy away from the spotlight!

Another little sister got her mission call to the California, San Fernando Spanish-speaking mission.  She leaves in June, which is PERFECT because then she can attend the other one's wedding, learn a language, get back in time for Christmas 2012, receive all her packages, and if we happen to accidentally wander across her mission on our family vacation, so much the better!  I am so excited for you, Loo!

So that catches us up!  Between taxi mom-ing to piano, dance, training, basketball, soccer, school, and rehearsals, volunteering at the elementary, trying to re-lease our condo, let alone extra rehearsals for the ballet performance this week, AIM all day yesterday, piano recitals, ballet pictures, Oklahoma dance rehearsals at CJH, and trying to fit in a date (or two!) with my hot hubby, I hope I'll be forgiven for the tardiness of my blog updates. : )

Comments

B and B said…
Oh. My. Dang. Seriously, woman! How do you do it all?? Thanks for the update! I knew your kiddos would be uber talented with you for a mom! I expect some amazing performances at Christmas this year! XOXO
Britt
Tara said…
I love you Mel! It's so fun to see your little family growing up and getting so involved in so many awesome things :) Thanks for the shout out! It's been so wonderful to have my amazing big sisters right by my side every step of the way while preparing for my mission! Love you!
Janet Johnson said…
Man, you are a busy woman! How do you do it all? :)

Loff and miss you!