My Lifelong Dream

I have dreamed of getting my kids their own camelbacks for a looonnnng time now . . . like a ridiculous six years or so.  I just have this vision of darling little children carrying their own hydration, and maybe a fruit snack.

Like this:


This was the year--HOORAY!!!  The kiddos all got camelbacks for their birthdays, and since Ginger keeps climbing the wall in our backyard, we decided to test them (the camelbacks) and her (the dog) out at a local hike.  The kiddos did fabulously, even packing their own granola bars and fruit snacks, and we had so much fun we went all the way to the top!  (about twice as long as mom was planning on, which meant a shocking shortage of snacks on the way back to the car.  Lesson learned.)


Notice any similarities as my boys pose for pictures?  HA!  I think they are pointing to the valley, or the line of cement trucks at the sand pit, or to where they think Grandma's house is . . . one of those, I'm sure.  Here's also some documented proof that we made it to the top!  There is another well-traveled SLC hike behind us that is accessible from where we were, and the kids wanted to go on to that point . . . putting us about three hours away from our car.  That got vetoed, with the promise of doing that hike by itself, starting from it's own base on the other side of the mountain, not ours. : )


Near the top we found an old canal--fascinating enough to deserve a side trip to the end.  Sophia, Ginger and I waited while the other three troopers scouted it out.  Sophia posed, I took pictures.  Towards the end of the hike Ginger started flopping down in the grass.  She was spent!  I love the pic of Micah carrying her down the mountain while Daniel carries both camelbacks.  So sweet!

Comments

Janet Johnson said…
What a fun thing! I sure miss the mountains and the trails. Hiking was such a cinch back then. Now I have to drive a couple of hours and check the map to hope I found the right place. :(

Yes, I'm jealous!
Tara said…
Oh my gosh Mel, this is so cute!! I have been checking up on your blog waiting for new posts and I love this! I'm so glad you took Ging along for the hike, she is going to be so well trained! You have the most adorable kids ever! So sweet of MIcah to carry her back down :) And Daniel to carry the camelbacks :) :) I can't wait to be a mom so I can do fun stuff like this with my kids!!