DIY attacks

Here's my latest project . . . well, not really. There's another project a-coming, but I have to take pics for you first. : ) This one was so simple, it's foolproof! Especially if you have made all the mistakes before and can share, like me. Tired of trying to find my earrings in the pile, and when I did find them, they were all tangled up, I decided to make this after seeing various versions at a cute boutique. Theirs were standing up, table-top style, but I don't have anywhere for an earring rack to just stand and not get knocked over a jillion times. I do, however, have a jillion frames that are currently not being used. So I got some screening from Lowe's, pulled out my handy dandy staple gun, and voila! Instant organization!

So, to those who want to borrow my staple gun, here's few basics: Cut bigger than you think you'll use, because even if you're world's greatest home deco genius, and think you can do it right the first time, it's always easier to cut off the extra and not have to cut another square of screening. (Not that I know anyone who had to do that . . . ) Also, make sure when you are stapling the screening in, point the staples so they are going PARALLEL with the frame instead of towards the front. This will keep the front of your frame nice and smooth and not pockmarked with little staple ends poking out. Again, not that I would know, I just heard . . . ; ) And I have TONS of screening left over! Turns out the smallest rolls you can buy are like 6 feet long, . . . so if I've inspired you, come get some!!!

(By the way, you have to love my batty earrings at the bottom there--I think I've had those since high school! hahaha)

Comments

christy said…
Yeah, I really need to make one of these. So cute
Janet Johnson said…
You are just so creative! My impressive friend.
Mary Ellen said…
I've wanted to make one of these for the longest time but I'm not crafty at all. Can I pay you to do it for me?
Emily said…
Well hi there Melanie -

After your message I was required by the laws of blogging to try and find your blog. Just wanted to say hi and let you know that I think your family is beautiful.

Take care,
Emily Harestad
Emily said…
Sorry - one more thing -

I have to ask. How do you know Mary Ellen? She lives right down the street from us...we even do playgroup together.

Small world eh?