Crooked Towels and Sticky Fingerprints

Hey all--

I know I've disappeared from cyberspace for a while, and great explanations forthcoming, but thought while I have a brief minute, I want to record some thoughts from today before I forget them. That happens more than I'd like to admit. : ) (the forgetfulness, not the recording!)

It seems like I can NEVER get any housework done--ever! The second I think about vacuuming, I realize how much is on the floor that won't work in my vacuum system, like toys, clothes, swim towels, children . . . : ) and by the time I have that cleaned up, the time I had for actual vacuuming has passed, and another day ends. Every now and then I get a bathroom cleaned, the dishes done, the floor swept, but never all at once, which is a little frustrating at times. So I was in a bathroom today, looking at the crooked towels and wondering if it was possible to train children to straighten them after they wash their hands. Part of me thought it was worth a shot, and the other part thought . . . "really? can't you just be happy that the hands are getting washed? are you ever going to be satisfied?" Someday in the future, (far, far, far in the future!) my towels will remain beautifully hung, and straight all the day long, and there won't be anyone to make them crooked. (well, maybe Dave . . . ) When that day comes, I'm sure I'll look at them and think, "my, those towels look good!" And at that point, a little bit of sadness too, for the time when I could rely on them to never be straight. ever. : )

My cute little brother owns a handyman business, and has recently added window cleaning to his list. Since mine have never been done (I know you're shocked), I enlisted his assistance. Man, do they look amazing!!! I can see out of windows that have been opaque for more than four years (and we've been here for two of them) . . . since the house was built! At any rate, he came over the other day and commented on how quickly little handprints were appearing on his nice clean windows. I laughed and said something about how that wasn't really surprising. But my thoughts about towels today coincide with the little handprints we sometimes get from primary and preschool teachers about how these little hands won't always adorn our walls (and windows and fridge doors, to name a few!), and how we will miss them at some point.

I know it's true, and yet I laugh and say it would be nice to get there, and then be able to come back to appreciate this stage at it's fullest. Life is funny like that--we don't get what we want at the time we want it, but by the time we do want it, it's too late. So I would like to go on record as saying that I love my towels being crooked, my windows having sticky fingerprints on them, and even my house not being perfectly clean at any one point . . . ever. : ) I am so grateful to have four shiny happy spirits of my own who mess things up so perfectly for me, every single day.

Comments

Mindi B said…
Amen, Amen, Amen!!! Need I say more?! Thanks for the reminder; it was actually very touching.
Debbie said…
I agree...and in fact I sometimes don't wash the finger prints off on purpose because I love how cute and tiny they really are. and thanks for the perspective. It's good to see you back!
T.A.T.I Crew said…
Mel, you are a fantastic mom. This was such a great post.

I have to keep reminding myself every time I pick up the toys scattered across my family room, that there was a time when I wished for bite marks on my board books and feet prints in my newly washed floor.

Now that these things have become part of my everyday chaotic life I try to remind myself how sad I will be when my floors remain clean and my life becomes void of Fisher Price.

Thanks for your great perspective.