Summer??? --blech--

So I have been reprimanded for not posting more frequently, and today is just the day to contradict my previous posts. ; ) With the first two days of summer under our belt, I officially hate it. Yes, that's right, I am hating summer!!! Not so much the non-schedule, because I am actually enjoying that part. The problem is, our swimming lessons don't start until next week, same with tennis, and since my kids picked their own punishment for fighting on Sunday, we can't play with friends or on the computer until next week. So . . . . that leaves us playing with each other . . . a lot . . . : ) Most of the time they are really good, and play so nicely, but I think too much of a good thing . . . but it does go in spurts, thank goodness. One minute they are playing tennis or basketball or swinging, or jumping so cute together, then someone calls someone else a name, or claims an extra point, and all heck breaks loose. We have more time for teasing, a little more being together, so the sibling rivalry is at an all-time high. I am not physically able to play with each one individually (would love to, but can't--name that movie!), pick up after them (isn't that their job anyway?), and still make meals on time (ever?).

I am, however, able to report some significant progress--we have assignments for loading and unloading the dishwasher that have worked successfully for two days, our allowance charts are effective again (since we have more time in the morning to actually check them now), we have webkinz-earning charts that get extra chores done (albeit not so well, but done!), I am re-decorating the living room (wahoo!!! it is so fun--you all have to come see my house when I'm done!), we can actually see most of the carpet in Livia's room again (yaay for Livi! She worked so hard!), Micah and I went on a snail-hunting expedition and were able to send over 35 snails to our bucket-o-death, and Daniel has finally had some spare time to hone his wii skills (and baseball too), much missed during school hours. : D

So, any of you that have more ideas for peace in the home (and no, singing "Love At Home" at the top of my lungs doesn't help any of us . . . except it does make me laugh at myself, so I guess it does some good!), please comment, and often! I told them today that I don't care what anyone else does or says, we are GOING TO BE NICE!!! That has worked for the last few hours, so we'll see how tomorrow goes--wish me luck! : D

Comments

The Munkies said…
i make the children that are fighting sit on the floor next to each other and wrap their arms around each other and hold tight until I feel they are sufficiently "loving each other" again. usually ends up with 2 kids laughing, after much angry squeezing, but they don't let go until I tell them...it is funny if anything else :) I also hate the summer!!
Anjuli said…
How fun does your days sound!! Hey Josh's Parents got their call today and they are not leaving until Sept 1. Can you believe that, it totally put a damper on some major summer bashes but there will always be next summer and indoor play times!
Mary Ellen said…
I have no advice for you at all, except to sometimes go lock yourself in the bedroom and cover your head with a pillow to escape the chaos. It's a daily battle for me to remain sane. Caleb isn't out of school until end of June (He's on year-round out here-we start traditional this fall). But, he is out of school next week for a few days for State testing, so if the weather is nice, maybe Monday we could do that hike?

Give me a buzz if you're interested my cell is 499-0360.
T.A.T.I Crew said…
Hoo-freakin'-ray, Mel has a new post!

Just kidding. Really, I love to read what is happening in your home if only to make my life feel more normal.

My suggestions are two-fold:

1)If they are angry, they must voice their frusterations in song.

2)If they don't do their chores, threaten to put them in Micah's bucket-o-death-- ok maybe not. DCFS might tend to frown on that one.

Seriously Mel, you are a great mom, and between snail captures and wii cheerleading you are already doing a fantastic job